Join Julie in a virtual bag-making series to make the Redwood Tote by Noodlehead Patterns. Learn how to make a professionally constructed mid-sized crossbody tote with front zippered pocket, back slip pocket, zip top closure and reinforced base. This will be your go-to bag for everyday use! (Student will need to cut pieces in advance of class, follow cutting instructions in the pattern)
Recommended Experience Level: Intermediate to advanced – you cannot take this class if your only experience is the Intro to Sewing class. See the class description and feel free to ask if you have the experience needed for the class! This is also a great follow-up to the Structured Tote class too! Students will need to cut pieces in advance of the class. *Follow cutting instructions in the pattern – any questions please ask.
- Redwood Tote Pattern by Noodlehead – will be available at Firecracker Fabric
Requirements based on 44”-wide fabric.
- 1/2 yard Exterior Fabric (two fat quarters may be used)
- 1/2 yard Accent Fabric (includes Reinforced Base, Handles, and Strap)
- 1 yard (¾ yard if using non-directional fabric) Lining Fabric
- 2 1/2 yards Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101 – 20”-wide)
- (1) 6” zipper* for front pocket
- (1) 12” zipper for top closure
**FOR ZIPPERS WE SUGGEST USING Sallie Tomato zip by the yard FROM Firecracker Fabrics(one pack is enough for the whole project) or order the exact ones from Noodlehead directly
- (2) 1”-wide d-rings, (2) 1”-wide swivel clasps AND (1) 1”-wide strap slider
- 2” x 11” piece of heavyweight interfacing for Reinforced Base (Pellon Peltex 72F or equivalent recommended)
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas (7-9 oz. weight) for exterior fabric. Quilting cotton for Accent and Lining.
**Waxed canvas may also be used for exterior fabric (although I would not suggest for less experienced students), reduce fusible interfacing requirement to 1 ¾ yards and do not interface the exterior fabric pieces.
Additional supplies + tools:
1-2 spools of Polyester thread
size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle
Sewline glue pen
Clover Wonder Clips (optional, but so helpful!)
*(optional) two ¾”-wide x 15” long leather handles and eight 8mm rivets/setting tool, (optional) two ¼” x 5” pieces of leather/ribbon for zipper pulls
***PLEASE PLAN TO SHOP AS FAR IN ADVANCE OF THE CLASS AS YOU CAN SO THAT YOU CAN SORT OUT THE ZIPPERS NEEDED FOR THESE BAGS. DUE TO THE NON-STANDARD ZIPPER LENGTHS THAT ARE REQUIRED FOR SOME OF THE BAGS, YOU MAY DECIDE TO ORDER ZIPPERS ONLINE DEPENDING ON THE COLOR AND FINISH YOU REQUIRE. SO WE WANT TO BE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO ORDER ZIPPERS IF NECESSARY.
– You will need to cut your pieces in advance of the class so you will be ready to start constructing during the first class. A rotary cutter and quilters ruler will be very helpful for this, but you can also opt to use shears.