The Basic Quilt
Learn all the steps to make a basic lap quilt from start to finish in this VIRTUAL series – from cutting, to piecing, to quilting and binding. This is a great introductory quilting class and perfect for anyone comfortable on a sewing machine who wants to learn how to quilt and learn the fundamentals of patchwork design. (some homework may be necessary between sessions) This class is 6 sessions, each 2 hours long – if you are going to miss a class let the instructor know and a recording of the session can be sent to you.
Recommended Experience Level: Beginner (basic sewing machine experience needed, we will be sewing with 1/4″ seams so you will want to feel comfortable enough to tackle that!), and great for intermediate and advanced sewists as well!
For Quilt Top:
- 3 x 1/2 yd quilting cotton
- 2 x 3/4 yd quilting cotton
- Cotton sewing thread, large spool, in a neutral or to match your fabrics.
Note on fabrics: if you are unsure about fabric choices, try to create a variation in light, dark, and scale of prints.
- Pilot Frixion Pen
- 6” or 6 1/2” x 24” quilting ruler
- 45mm Rotary Cutter with a fresh blade
- 100 Curved Basting Pins (1 1/2” – 2” long)
- Hand sewing needle (Clover Black Gold Sharps recommended)
- Self-healing cutting mat 18” x 24” or larger (check about borrowing from studio if you do not have one and prefer to not purchase)
- 12.5” square acrylic quilting ruler or other quilting ruler
- Walking Foot for your home sewing machine (your machine may have come with one!)
To Finish Quilt:
- Batting: 45” square
- Backing: 1 1/4yd quilting cotton
- Binding: 3/8 yd quilting cotton
- Cotton sewing thread, large spool, for quilting
- Painter’s Or Masking Tape
Note: these materials will not be used until Week 4 or 5. You may choose to wait until closer to then to choose your backing and binding fabric, to match how your quilt top is turning out!
*PLEASE DO NOT PREWASH/DRY FABRIC PRIOR TO CLASS
You will also need all your basic at home supplies, iron, scissors, pins or clips, seam ripper, sewing machine!
You will also need a laptop, ipad or tablet to connect via zoom. Zoom link to be sent prior to class. You can use a phone but it’s not ideal as the screen is small.