- Our storefront has reopened! We have a 5 person limit, and a mask requirement. We lovingly request that you do not shop for camps in large groups this summer.
- Firecracker is physically attached to Cut & Sew Studio. If you are shopping for your class online and planning to pick up your order during class, please select the 'Free In-Store Pickup' option at checkout and do not pay for shipping. Your teacher will grab your order for you when you arrive. We are happy to hold orders for as long as you need!
- You will not be able to purchase additional supplies during classes outside of shop hours. Please be sure to purchase everything you will need ahead of time. You can direct questions about appropriate supplies to Cut & Sew Studio.
- Catherine at Cut & Sew Studio works hard to supply you with instructions and helpful supply resources. Please make sure to thoroughly read and respond to all of her emails!
- There is only one person packing orders on site, and we cannot guarantee same day order fulfillment. Please place class orders at least 3 days in advance.
- We do not pack on weekends or holidays, so if you place an order on Friday for a class that weekend, it may not be ready. We don’t want kids in the weekend classes to have a negative experience, so it is absolutely essential that you plan ahead.
We are currently offering in person classes! IF there is interest in virtual classes we may continue those offerings (please let me know if you are interested). All classes and camps follow CDC guidelines and precautions. Due to varied comfort levels with Covid and also various vulnerabilities among students, masks are still required for in-person classes, please follow us for updates on that front. Masks are still required for kids classes. Please follow current CDC guidance for covid isolation, testing and quarantine and stay home if you are not feeling well.
Thank you so much for your continued support!
Details Regarding Adult classes due to Covid-19 following CDC recommendations.
- All students will wear masks to enter studio and during class. Instructors will also wear masks for class. Please make sure you have a well fitting mask that properly covers the mouth AND NOSE. We are continuing our mask policy for now due to varied comfort levels with the virus and also various vulnerabilities of students. We will update mask policy when we feel appropriate.
- Students may bring their own sewing tools from home, however students are now permitted to share studio supplies as well.
- Dedicated student bathroom to be cleaned very frequently
- Hand sanitizer stations available throughout the studio to use as needed.
- Additional irons and ironing boards have been brought in to reduce sharing.
- Regular and frequent cleaning of high touch areas
Details Regarding kid's classes due to Covid-19 following CDC recommendations.
- Drop-off and pickup will happen at the door to the studio, only students will be permitted to enter the studio. Parents and guardians may not enter the studio or stay at the studio during class. If a parent needs to enter the studio they are required to wear a mask. Students should enter one at a time.
- Students are required to wear masks during the classes. Please make sure your child has a mask that fits properly and is not falling off their face, and that is also covers their mouth and nose. The instructor will wear a mask the whole time. We will continue to review CDC guidelines and local guidance from the schools to update our mask policy going forward.
- If your child shows signs of illness including a fever or excessive cough or has been in close contact with anyone who has or may have coronavirus they will not be permitted to attend class until they have quarantined. Please follow current CDC guidance for covid isolation, testing and quarantine and stay home if you are not feeling well.
- If your child is sick, with any illness, students should not attend class. Please contact the instructor to find out if there is a makeup opportunity available (these are not guaranteed but I try hard to get them)
- You may bring your own tools from home (scissors, pins, seam ripper etc) - but students are now also permitted to share studio supplies. If you bring your own supplies from home please label as best as possible.
- If you would like to bring your own machine to use in class you are welcome to. Please check with instructor first.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout studio as needed.
- Water fountains will not be available to drink from while in class, please send your child with a reusable water bottle with lid. If they need more water we can refill, I just don’t want kids drinking directly from the fountain.
- For your own piece of mind, please know that our dedicated student bathroom will be cleaned frequently and commonly touched surfaces disinfected frequently.
- Please do not bring stuffed animals or toys to class (mostly as they cause a distraction).
- Please be prompt with pickup and please do not plan to arrive more than 5 minutes early for drop off.
- There are no refunds for missed camps or days of camp or classes or for cancelling your registration in a camp or class.
- If you need to cancel your registration in a camp or class please make sure you read the cancellation policies.
We update the site as soon as we book a new class. If you’d like to be contacted about new offerings sign up for our email list.
It is usually easiest to contact the owner, Catherine, via email Catherine@cutandsewstudio.com with any questions you may have. Feel free to also text at 412-865-6565 (or call and leave a message if I don’t answer).
If you are trying to reach Firecracker Fabrics next to the studio please call 412-450-8228.
If you’re not registered for a class, email catherine@cutandsewstudi
The website indicates when a session is sold out. It’s a good idea to sign up early—it’s the best way to guarantee your spot. Have questions about room in a particular session? Send us an email and we’ll be happy to advise you.
Loom in the strip– located in the Strip District on Penn Ave – have upholstery weight fabric and cotton/wovens. Limited apparel fabrics.
T’s Upholstery – located on Butler St. in Lawrenceville -upholstery fabric and remnants
The Fabric Place – in Mt. Lebanon – Great source for apparel fabrics, very knowledgeable and helpful staff! Lots of silks, lace, dancewear fabrics, and wool suitings too.
727 Washington Rd, Pittsburgh, PA (412) 341-8868
JoAnn Fabrics – multiple locations in the suburbs.
Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse – this is not only a good spot to look for fabrics, supplies and lots of other odd items for projects, but a great place to donate any unused or unwanted fabric and supplies.
If you are trying to reach Firecracker Fabrics next to the studio please call 412-450-8228.
For class fee information, please refer to the classes tab above and click on the class you need further information on. If you still need help, just send an email or call.
Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before a scheduled class as sometimes classes are offered back-to-back and often that time prior to class is needed to prep for the class! If you arrive early, and the shop is open feel free to browse their beautiful assortment of fabrics and get inspired for your next project. There is also a lounge in the back you can feel free to sit and relax and wait for the class to start.
Try borrowing before buying. Put the word out to loved ones and friends and chances are somebody out there has a spare machine with your name on it. If the machine hasn’t been used in a while, take it to a sewing machine repair shop for a check-up. As the owner of Cut & Sew Studio I have always gone to Thornton Company for all sewing machine purchases and repairs (from my very first machine many years ago!), but I also recommend checking out other options in the city including Gloria Horn Sewing Studio.
The machines used at the studio are Baby Lock (Brand), both the Crafter’s Choice and Katherine models, and also Pfaff (brand), Ambition 1.0 (model), but there are lots of good brands out there I can help recommend to you.
If you have never sewn before I suggest taking the Intro to Sewing class prior to making the big purchase. Firstly you will find out if you enjoy sewing (chances are you will!) but secondly, you will be more informed as to what you want and need when you go to make your purchase. If you are a student, please also feel free to contact the studio for specifics on machines and help in making your decision.
I recommend Thornton Company, however I do know they are very busy with repairs, it may take a bit to get it back.
Although we instruct and do not offer those services at Cut & Sew, we may be able to help find the right person for your project if you are not looking to take it on. Please contact the studio for referrals.
Yes! Please visit Private Instruction & Private Parties for more details. Since this is scheduled privately, please email or call the studio to schedule. Private lessons must be paid in advance.
The studio offers after-school and weekend sewing programs for kids as well as summer sewing camps. Classes begin at age 6, however a parent must decide when their child is ready to take a sewing class. Sewing is a lot of fun, but students need to be respectful of the tools they use (the sewing machines, scissors, irons) so that they do not get injured in a class. The attention span of a child must also be considered when looking at the length of the class. If you are unsure if you child is ready, we can set up a private lesson to get the child started and to evaluate whether they are ready for a group class setting. Once kids are in high-school they can begin to take the adult classes (or some of the older/teen sewing or design classes/camps. For kids younger than 6 years old private instruction can be discussed.
Having difficulty scheduling your child to join a kid’s class? Sometimes exceptions can be made for mature younger students, typically no younger than 7th grade level. Please contact the studio to discuss your circumstance so we can decide if an adult group class is possible. For younger children if the group kids class schedule doesn’t work we can schedule a private lesson, or maybe even a private group session with your child and a few of their friends.