Elle’s Weekend Traveler Bag
Another great bag pattern that does not use a commercial sewing pattern so it is a bit easier for that reason.
Time: About 6 sessions
- 3/4 yd fabric for bag exterior (quilting cotton)
- 1 yd fabric for bag pocket and interior (quilting cotton)
- 3/4 yd fusible fleece (1-sided or 2-sided)
- 14″ zipper (preferably a heavy-duty plastic or if you want a metal look that is not really metal then choose zipper-by-the-yard – available at Firecracker Fabrics – it comes with multiple pulls that can be used for several future projects, but you can also use a regular plastic zipper. No metal zippers. A regular plastic zipper can be shortened)
- 3 yd webbing for straps (1 to 1 1/2″ width)
- Coordinating thread – all purpose
*Note on the zipper, the zipper used in the sample is from a zipper by the yard. This is more expensive, however it comes with multiple pulls so that it can be used for lots of projects. So if your child is going to make more bags it’s a fun zipper to get, looks very cool and looks like metal and in the end it’s a great deal because you can make a lot of zippers with the package. However if you prefer to just get the one zipper, a regular zipper will be fine as well. And we can always shorten a plastic zipper, so if the zipper is longer than needed that’s okay.