Instructor: Catherine Batcho
Recommended Experience Level: Advanced
Supply List –
Leggings pattern – we have 2 options for you to select from – choose one of the following:
Megan Nielsen Virginia Legging Pattern (goes to a 38″ waist or size 20)
Style Arc Laura Knit Legging (goes to 44.5″ waist or size 24)
Another leggings pattern of your choice is okay as well!
*If you would really like to make something else, like a tshirt or Linden sweatshirt or something that is alright, just let me know. There may not be enough time to complete the project in class but you will definitely get yourself to a point of comfort where you could complete on your own as necessary.
Fabric as suggested on the pattern – 4 way stretch knits is best
1 spool of all-purpose thread
Elastic as specified in supply list on envelope
Optional but super helpful – rotary cutter
• 4 cones of thread for serger(poly or cotton/all – purpose): in a somewhat matching color (if necessary can use two cones and 2 regular spools of thread)
• at least one regular size spool to use on the regular sewing machine of matching thread color for hemming
• ball point needles for your serger (size 80 or 90 should be okay) – these are also sold at Firecracker Fabrics in Morningside – please note however that not all sergers use the same needles – so you should check your manual for the type of needle required and make sure to get that if necessary. Check with Thornton’s for sewing machine parts and needles. Also – not a bad idea to get an extra blade in case you break yours by hitting a pin!
• please make sure to prewash/dry your fabric for shrinkage prior to class – knits tend to shrink and you will want to shrink the fabric before making the dress!
• We will cut the fabric out together in class. If you plan to trace your pattern you must do this in advance of class, we will not have time to do this in class. If you feel comfortable cutting out the fabric at home, you are welcome to cut your fabric at home, especially if you would like to spend more time focusing on the use of the serger!