Sandhill Sling Camp
IN PERSON. Learn how to sew this sling style bag to carry your daily necessities or to take for travel on all your outdoor adventures this summer. It’s convenient sling design allows for easy access as well as being out of the way when you’re not using it. It is compact yet roomy enough for the essentials. Front zippered pocket, adjustable straps. (As I review signup there is a possibility for a space or 2 to open up in a closed camp, please let me know if you want to be on a wait list)
Recommended Experience Level: All Levels who have taken Intro class. Students must be 8 years old and up.
Prerequisite: Intro To Sewing For Kids (or similar)
Already included in the cost of the camp are the following items you do NOT need to purchase – bag pattern, interfacing, d-ring, swivel clasp and slide strap adjuster all in nickel finish
The following supplies you will need to purchase for camp:
- 5/8 yard Exterior Fabric
- 5/8 yard Lining Fabric (includes interior pocket)
- (1) 18” or longer zipper*(see note below) for top closure (not metal!) – you will see this zipper
- (1) 10” or longer zipper* for front pocket closure (not metal!) – you will not see this zipper
- 1 ½ yards of 1 ½”-wide cotton or poly webbing for strap
* For my bag I used the Sally Tomato zipper by the yard, which is enough to do both of the zips, plus I still have plenty left over to make more bags later! It’s a fun option that has a metal look but isn’t metal so you can still cut it to size and sew over it. You can also use a regular zipper! Zippers should not be metal as you will need to sew across them!
light to med weight Canvas for exterior fabric or quilting cotton.
Quilting cotton for lining.
Additional supplies + tools:
2 small spools or 1 large spool Polyester thread
Please continue to bring your sewing tools to camp for the week – scissors, seam ripper, chalk or drawing tool and pins!
Be sure to stop by Firecracker Fabrics online or in-person – our beautiful and local fabric partner shop, located right inside Cut & Sew Studio and offering all the fabrics, notions, patterns and supplies needed for class!
You may now shop in person at Firecracker, see hours below – please note that you will not be able to shop for supplies the day of camp before camp (or during camp). Shop is closed Monday and Tuesday. Please make sure to plan in advance. We also ask that in an effort to keep number of shoppers to a minimum in store, that you shop alone with your camper and do not plan group shopping meetups with other camper friends at the same time.
- Wednesdays-Fridays 12-6pm
- Saturdays-Sundays 11-4pm
Firecracker Fabrics also offers online shopping for your convenience, you may select in-store pickup and then simply ask the instructor for your supplies the day of camp. Be sure to order AT LEAST 3 days in advance of the camp and note that the store is closed Monday and Tuesday! You will still be able to pick up supplies from your instructor on Monday at camp! Please check Firecracker’s website or social media for any store hour updates!