Sandhill Sling Camp
IN PERSON. Learn how to sew this sling style bag to carry your daily necessities or to take for travel on all your outdoor adventures this summer. It’s convenient sling design allows for easy access as well as being out of the way when you’re not using it. It is compact yet roomy enough for the essentials. Front zippered pocket, adjustable straps. (As I review signup there is a possibility for a space or 2 to open up in a closed camp, please let me know if you want to be on a wait list)
Recommended Experience Level: All Levels who have taken Intro class. Students must be 8 years old and up.
Prerequisite: Intro To Sewing For Kids (or similar)
Already included in the cost of the camp are the following items you do NOT need to purchase – bag pattern, interfacing, d-ring, swivel clasp and slide strap adjuster all in nickel finish
The following supplies you will need to purchase for camp:
- 5/8 yard Exterior Fabric
- 5/8 yard Lining Fabric (includes interior pocket)
- (1) 18” or longer zipper*(see note below) for top closure (not metal!)
- (1) 10” or longer zipper* for front pocket closure (not metal!)
- 1 ½ yards of 1 ½”-wide cotton or poly webbing for strap
* For my bag I used the Sally Tomato zipper by the yard, which is enough to do both of the zips, plus I still have plenty left over to make more bags later! It’s a fun option that has a metal look but isn’t metal so you can still cut it to size and sew over it. You can also use a regular zipper! Zippers should not be metal as you will need to sew across them!
light to med weight Canvas for exterior fabric or quilting cotton.
Quilting cotton for lining.
Additional supplies + tools:
2 small spools or 1 large spool Polyester thread
Please continue to bring your sewing tools to camp for the week – scissors, seam ripper, chalk or drawing tool and pins!
Be sure to stop by Firecracker Fabrics online – our beautiful and local fabric partner shop, located right inside Cut & Sew Studio and offering all the fabrics, notions, patterns and supplies needed for class! *Currently Firecracker Fabrics is closed to in-person shopping due to COVID-19. If you choose to shop at Firecracker, purchase all your supplies online at firecrackerfabrics.com and then your supplies will be waiting for you on the first day of camp. No need to pick up in advance, and no need to notify them that you are waiting to pick up supplies. However you are welcome to pick them up so that your camper can look through everything and get excited about their choices! You must shop at least 3 days in advance of camp so supplies will be processed in time. Please read a message from Firecracker on our FAQ page.