Sew this sling style bag to carry your daily necessities or to take for travel. It’s convenient sling design allows for easy access as well as being out of the way when you’re not using it. It is compact yet roomy enough for the essentials. We will be making view A in the class with front zippered pocket, perfect for quick access to smaller items. An adjustable strap makes it easy to wear. Perfect for biking or daily use! (Note there is a virtual and an in person option for this. For the virtual option you must cut all pieces and fuse all pieces before first class. In person class we will be cutting and fusing in the studio together)
- Intermediate to advanced – you cannot take this class if your only experience is the Intro to Sewing class. See class description and feel free to ask if you have the experience needed for the class!
- This is also a great follow-up to the Structured Tote class too! Or if you have taken the Bag Making class at the studio you can definitely take this one as well!
(Note there is a virtual and an in person option for this. For the virtual option you must cut all pieces and fuse all pieces before first class. In person class we will be cutting and fusing in the studio together)
- Sandhill Sling pattern available from Firecracker
- 5/8 yard Exterior Fabric
- 5/8 yard Lining Fabric (includes interior pocket)
- 1 ¼ yards Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101-20”)
- (1) 18”/40.6 cm head-to-head handbag zipper*(see note below) for top closure (does not have to have the 2 pulls, either works, not metal!)
- (1) 10”/25.4 cm handbag zipper*^ for front pocket closure (a regular all-purpose zipper will work fine, not metal!)
- 1”-wide d-ring AND 1 ½”-wide strap slider AND 1 ½”-wide swivel snap *see note below
- 1 ½ yards of 1 ½”-wide cotton or poly webbing for strap
* For my bag I used the Sally Tomato zipper by the yard, which is enough to do both of the zips, plus I still have plenty left over to make more bags later! I highly recommend. It has a metal look but isn’t metal so you can still cut it to size and sew over it. You can also use a regular zipper – it DOES NOT have to be a “handbag zipper” with two pulls! Zippers should not be metal as you will need to sew across them!
*Note for Hardware – You are welcome to use a 1.5″ D ring on the bag instead of the 1″ D ring if you would like to make it easier since kit packages keep the same size products together and this will save on supplies needed to be ordered. We can very easily adjust pattern for this. Everything else (including the webbing size) will still stay the same.
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas (8-10 oz. weight) for exterior fabric. Quilting cotton for lining.
Additional supplies + tools:
2 small spools or 1 large spool Polyester thread
¼ yard of ¼”-wide elastic (optional for interior pocket)
Bring your rotary cutter if you have one! Okay to cut with shears too.