The Structured Tote
In this two-part class, we’ll make a simple, sturdy tote with boxed corners, an inside zipper pocket, and a magnetic snap closure for a clean, professional finish. If you’ve taken Intro to Sewing and are looking for a project with enough detail to take your skills up a notch, this is the perfect project for you! Also great for more experienced sewists that want a fun project or a cute new bag!
Recommended Experience Level: Beginner (basic sewing machine experience needed), and great for intermediate and advanced sewists as well!
- 1/2 yd canvas or linen blend fabric for outer top
- 1/4 yd canvas or linen blend fabric for outer bottom
- 3/4 yd quilting cotton for lining
- 1 fat quarter or quarter yard quilting cotton for pocket lining
- 3/4 yd Pellon 987F fusible fleece interfacing
- 1 1/4 yd Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex interfacing
- 1 1/4 yd 1-inch cotton webbing
- 1 spool of all-purpose thread to match fabrics
- Magnetic snap
- 7” zipper (all-purpose or metal) – note: if metal, zip MUST be 7”. If all-purpose, zip can be longer!
- Frixion Pen
* Sewline Glue Pen
Currently we are asking all students to bring their own sewing tools to class to cut down on sanitizing. So plan to bring pins or clips, seam ripper and marking tools. If you need to borrow that is alright.
*Please also plan to bring a rotary cutter with a fresh blade to learn how to use a rotary cutter in this class. As well as a quilting ruler. (such as 6” or 6 1/2” x 24” quilting ruler). Please let me know if you do not have and will not be purchasing these items and need to borrow so I can ensure everyone has the supplies they need for class.