The Structured Tote
In this two-part VIRTUAL class, we’ll make a simple, sturdy tote with boxed corners, an inside zipper pocket, and a magnetic snap closure for a clean, professional finish. If you’ve taken Intro to Sewing and are looking for a project with enough detail to take your skills up a notch, this is the perfect project for you! Also great for more experienced sewists that want a fun project or a cute new bag! Please note that cutting out of pieces is required prior to class.
Recommended Experience Level: Beginner (basic sewing machine experience needed), and great for intermediate and advanced sewists as well!
Students will need to cut out their pieces for this prior to class. A worksheet will be provided to explain what you need to cut. If you are concerned about cutting the correct size pieces please check about having a paper template sent to you!
- 1/2 yd canvas or linen blend fabric for outer top
- 1/4 yd canvas or linen blend fabric for outer bottom
- 3/4 yd quilting cotton for lining
- 1 fat quarter or quarter yard quilting cotton for pocket lining
- 3/4 yd Pellon 987F fusible fleece interfacing
- 1 1/4 yd Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex interfacing
- 1 1/4 yd 1-inch cotton webbing
- 1 spool of all-purpose thread to match fabrics
- Magnetic snap
- 7” zipper (all-purpose or metal) – note: if metal, zip MUST be 7”. If all-purpose, zip can be longer!
* Sewline Glue Pen
You will also need all your basic at home supplies, iron, scissors, pins or clips, seam ripper, sewing machine!
You will also need a laptop, ipad or tablet to connect via zoom. Zoom link to be sent prior to class. You can use a phone but it’s not ideal as the screen is small.