Intro to Sewing Camp
IN PERSON. Perfect for beginner level students who have not sewn before (or with very little experience). All new students ages 6 and up will make a pillow, drawstring backpack, pj pants or shorts and choose an additional 4th project of their choice. (As I review signup there is a possibility for a space or 2 to open up in a closed camp, please let me know if you want to be on a wait list)
Recommended Experience Level: No Experience – Beginner/Newbie
Be sure to stop by Firecracker Fabrics online – our beautiful and local fabric partner shop, located right inside Cut & Sew Studio and offering all the fabrics, notions, patterns and supplies needed for class! *Currently Firecracker Fabrics is closed to in-person shopping due to COVID-19. If you choose to shop at Firecracker, purchase all your supplies online at firecrackerfabrics.com and then your supplies will be waiting for you on the first day of camp. No need to pick up in advance, and no need to notify them that you are waiting to pick up supplies. However you are welcome to pick them up so that your camper can look through everything and get excited about their choices! You must shop at least 3 days in advance of camp so supplies will be processed in time. Please read a message from Firecracker on our FAQ page.
We will make 4 projects. It is best to have all supplies sent together for the first day of camp. Supplies will come home with students and students will be responsible for bringing back supplies the next day.
PROJECT #1 – PATCH WORK PILLOW
- 1/2 yard Fabric A (must be non-stretch, med-weight woven fabric. No thick fleece,faux-fur, velvet etc. Must be easy fabric for beginner sewer, cotton quilting fabric, canvas or home decor fabric is fine).
- 1/2 yard Fabric B (same notes as above-use contrast or coordinating fabric, whatever you like together!).
- 1 spool of all-purpose thread to match
- one 16″ pillow form.
PROJECT #2 – DRAWSTRING BACKPACK
- 3/4 yard of cotton quilting fabric or similar fabric – non-stretch
- Grommets – 3/8″ in size (it will say 3/8″ on package) – typically in silver or gold. There will usually be more in the package then needed, but you need 2 sets – so if siblings or friends are in a class together they can share them if it’s a larger package. If you purchase the grommets I have linked above it will be exactly what you need for one backpack. Firecracker breaks down the package so you only get what you need for class so it’s cheaper and no waste. Just purchase one! (it already includes the set)
- Cord — 4 yards- something to use for drawstring cord (not too thick, about ¼” diameter). (for tiny/short students you will need 3.5 yards only)
- 1 spool of ALL-PURPOSE thread to match
PROJECT #3 – PJ Pants
- 2.25 yards of woven fabric (or 1 yard ONLY for PJ shorts) Making shorts will be a bit less expensive since you will need less fabric.
- 1 yard of 3/4″ wide elastic
PROJECT #4 – students choice – choose ONE ONLY from the following for a scrap buster project:
We can use remaining fabric scraps – you will just need a regular all-purpose closed bottom zipper 7″ or longer
we can use remaining fabric scraps
Need 1/4″ wide elastic – 1 yard makes a few scrunchies
We use remaining fabric scraps
Need 1/4″ wide elastic if you want elastic loops for ears. if you use elastic we need about 1/2 yard for 1 mask
feel free to check out the mask making supplies at Firecracker