Intro to Sewing Camp
IN PERSON. Perfect for beginner level students who have not sewn before (or with very little experience). All new students ages 6 and up will make a pillow, drawstring backpack, pj pants or shorts and choose an additional 4th project of their choice. (As I review signup there is a possibility for a space or 2 to open up in a closed camp, please let me know if you want to be on a wait list)
Recommended Experience Level: No Experience – Beginner/Newbie
Be sure to stop by Firecracker Fabrics online or in-person – our beautiful and local fabric partner shop, located right inside Cut & Sew Studio and offering all the fabrics, notions, patterns and supplies needed for class!
You may now shop in person at Firecracker, see hours below – please note that you will not be able to shop for supplies the day of camp before camp (or during camp). Shop is closed Monday and Tuesday. Please make sure to plan in advance. We also ask that in an effort to keep number of shoppers to a minimum in store, that you shop alone with your camper and do not plan group shopping meetups with other camper friends at the same time.
- Wednesdays-Fridays 12-6pm
- Saturdays-Sundays 11-4pm
Firecracker Fabrics also offers online shopping for your convenience, you may select curb-side pickup and then simply ask the instructor for your supplies the day of camp. Be sure to order AT LEAST 3 days in advance of the camp and note that the store is closed Monday and Tuesday! You will still be able to pick up supplies from your instructor on Monday at camp! Please check Firecracker’s website or social media for any store hour updates!
We will make 4 projects. It is best to have all supplies sent together for the first day of camp. Supplies will come home with students each day and students will be responsible for bringing back supplies the next day.
PROJECT #1 – PATCH WORK PILLOW
- 1/2 yard Fabric A (must be non-stretch, med-weight woven fabric. No thick fleece,faux-fur, velvet etc. Must be easy fabric for beginner sewer, cotton quilting fabric, canvas or home decor fabric is fine).
- 1/2 yard Fabric B (same notes as above-use contrast or coordinating fabric, whatever you like together!).
- 1 spool of all-purpose thread to match
- one 16″ pillow form.
PROJECT #2 – DRAWSTRING BACKPACK
- 3/4 yard of cotton quilting fabric or similar fabric – non-stretch
- Grommets – 3/8″ in size (it will say 3/8″ on package) – typically in silver or gold. There will usually be more in the package then needed, but you need 2 sets – so if siblings or friends are in a class together they can share them if it’s a larger package. If you purchase the grommets I have linked above it will be exactly what you need for one backpack. Firecracker breaks down the package so you only get what you need for class so it’s cheaper and no waste. Just purchase one! (it already includes the set)
- Cord — 4 yards- something to use for drawstring cord (not too thick, about ¼” diameter). (for tiny/short students you will need 3.5 yards only)
- 1 spool of ALL-PURPOSE thread to match
PROJECT #3 – PJ Pants
- 2.25 yards of woven fabric (or 1 yard ONLY for PJ shorts) Making shorts will be a bit less expensive since you will need less fabric.
- 1 yard of 3/4″ wide elastic
PROJECT #4 – students choice – choose ONE ONLY from the following for a scrap buster project:
We can use remaining fabric scraps – you will just need a regular all-purpose closed bottom zipper 7″ or longer
we can use remaining fabric scraps
Need 1/4″ wide elastic – 1 yard makes a few scrunchies
We use remaining fabric scraps
Need 1/4″ wide elastic if you want elastic loops for ears. if you use elastic we need about 1/2 yard for 1 mask
feel free to check out the mask making supplies at Firecracker
*Any student who works fast through the week will of course be welcome to get additional supplies if they would like to choose another larger project to make – this can be discussed with the instructor!