Kids Summer Intro to Sewing Camp
Perfect for beginner level students who have not sewn before (or with very little experience). All new students ages 6 and up will make a pillow, drawstring backpack, pj pants or shorts and a 4th scrap buster project if time permits. If your camper has not sewn before or has very little experience this is the camp for them! Typically this camp goes up to students entering 9th grade. Highschool students looking for Intro experience can check out the Adult Intro to Sewing class!
Recommended Experience Level: No Experience – Beginner/Newbie
Be sure to stop by Firecracker Fabrics online or in-person – our beautiful and local fabric partner shop, located right inside Cut & Sew Studio and offering all the fabrics, notions, patterns and supplies needed for class! * You are of course permitted to shop anywhere you like for fabric even at home in your parents fabric stash if you are permitted!
Please note that you will not be able to shop for supplies the day of camp before camp (or during camp). Please make sure to plan in advance. We also ask that in an effort to keep number of shoppers to a minimum in store, that you shop alone with your camper and do not plan group shopping meetups with other camper friends at the same time. Firecracker is a small fabric shop :)
Firecracker Fabrics also offers online shopping for your convenience, you may select in store pickup and then simply ask the instructor for your supplies the day of camp. Be sure to order AT LEAST 3 days in advance of the camp and note the store’s hours online. You will still be able to pick up supplies from your instructor on Monday at camp! Please check Firecracker’s website or social media for any store hour updates!
We will make 3 projects. It is best to have all supplies sent together for the first day of camp. Supplies will come home with students each day and students will be responsible for bringing back supplies the next day.
**If you are a parent who feels a bit overwhelmed about getting supplies for camp or wants an easy option for ordering online, Firecfracker Fabrics now offers pre-cut kits for the Intro camp! Find them on their website HERE. Just order the kit and your child will be all set, nothing else is needed.
If you prefer to select items on your own or with your child see below:
PROJECT #1 – PATCH WORK PILLOW
- 1/2 yard Fabric A (must be non-stretch, med-weight woven fabric. No thick fleece,faux-fur, velvet etc. Must be easy fabric for beginner sewer, cotton quilting fabric, canvas or home decor fabric is fine).
- 1/2 yard Fabric B (same notes as above-use contrast or coordinating fabric, whatever you like together!).
- 1 spool of all-purpose thread to match
- one 16″ pillow form.
PROJECT #2 – DRAWSTRING BACKPACK
- 3/4 yard of cotton quilting fabric or similar fabric – non-stretch
- Grommets – 3/8″ in size (it will say 3/8″ on package) – typically in silver or gold. There will usually be more in the package then needed, but you need 2 sets – so if siblings or friends are in a class together they can share them if it’s a larger package. If you purchase the grommets I have linked above it will be exactly what you need for one backpack. Firecracker breaks down the package so you only get what you need for class so it’s cheaper and no waste. Just purchase one! (it already includes the set)
- Cord — 4 yards- something to use for drawstring cord (not too thick, about ¼” diameter). (for tiny/short students you will need 3.5 yards only)
- 1 spool of ALL-PURPOSE thread to match
PROJECT #3 – PJ Pants
- 2.25 yards of woven fabric (or 1 yard ONLY for PJ shorts) Making shorts will be a bit less expensive since you will need less fabric.
- 1 yard of 3/4″ wide elastic
PROJECT #4 – Scrap Buster Project is optional and depends on the particular student. For any students moving very quickly through projects we can advise on a larger 4th project. Some students may only make the first 3 specified projects. If time permits, the following are good short/scrap buster projects. Please do not purchase anything in advance for this as we can let you know if your child needs anything additional.
We can use remaining fabric scraps – you will just need a regular all-purpose closed bottom zipper 7″ or longer
we can use remaining fabric scraps
Need 1/4″ wide elastic – 1 yard makes a few scrunchies
American Girl Doll Skirt or PJ Pant
We use remaining fabric scraps
1/3 yard of 1/2″ wide elastic
*Any student who works fast through the week will of course be welcome to get additional supplies if they would like to choose another larger project to make – this can be discussed with the instructor!